It is a straight forward process to build your own bulkhead fitting. A trip to the hardware store will yield all the parts you are looking for. I’m going to describe building a bulkhead fitting for 1.5 inch pvc pipe. Although with the information I’m presenting you should be able to build a bulkhead fitting for other sizes of pipes.
Below are pictures and descriptions of the parts you’ll need.
1.5 inch pvc electrical conduit coupler slip x male thread
Do not substitute plumbing pvc couplers. These couples have a tapered pipe thread that won’t work well in this application.
1.5 inch pvc electrical conduit coupler slip x female thread
Gasket used for sink repair.
The gasket should just slide over the threads on the male coupler.
Short length of 1.5 inch sch40 pvc pipe.
This is glued into the bulkhead fitting that is on the outside of the container.
1. Start out by choosing the container the bulkhead fitting will be installed in.
2. Next drill a hole for the bulkhead location. The hole should just be large enough so the male threads just pass through the hole. If the hole is too large
3. Insert the coupler with the male threads through the hole from the inside of the container.
4. Place the rubber gasket over the pipe threads sticking out of the hole.
5. Screw the female coupler onto the male coupler.
6. Glue the pvc pipe into the coupler.
And there you have it. It turns out to be quite easy to build your own bulkhead fittings. Once you do you’ll never buy one again. But for those who want to buy here’s a few choices.